Monday, May 3, 2010

Boyfriend Diaries: A Family Affair

Since I'm no longer dating, the Dating Virginia section of the blog is no more. Instead, I figured it's time to debut a "sequel" (if you will) to that section, Boyfriend Diaries. It will be relatively similar, but only one boy will be discussed ;) I, of course, wont be going into much detail about our lives, because the relationship we have and what we share is private and I would never want to say or do anything to lose Craig's trust. However, I feel that there are some things that are okay to share and I'll be doing that in this blog section.

Let's go.

First, can I take an "aside" and talk about how weird/awesome it is that I have a boyfriend? It's a word that I haven't used to describe someone in almost 4 years. In fact, when he first used the term (he said it first, not me - I didn't want to rush in and label something that wasn't 'there' yet.) it struck me as odd. Boyfriend. Wow, I have a boyfriend. So strange and so exciting.

Anyway, back to the point. I've moved in. Not permanently, but, while by Upper East Side studio is being renovated, I've moved all of my things from my apartment in Murray Hill to a storage unit in Harlem while currently housing with Craig and his two siblings in their UES apartment. It's really not that big of a deal, since I've met them (and his parents) and have spent time with them in their space, but it is still their space. I'm on Day 2 and still feeling a little nervous about the living situation. I want to be a good "temporary house mate", keeping my things picked up, making very little noise, and contributing to the well-being of everyone in the home. I have a lot to prove here!

Not that I have a problem living with them for a little while, his brother and sister are great people who are very friendly and welcoming. But, I don't want to screw anything up.

Essentially, I've got a lot on the line. Family acceptance is vital to a healthy relationship and from past relationships, I understand how miserable it can be if the family doesn't like you. So, I have to prove that I can be respectful, kind, clean, fun, and sociable all while continuing to build a relationship with their brother. It's a lot to take in!

As usual, I'm probably over thinking the situation and I'm certain if the tables were turned, my family would act the exact same way, opening their arms to someone I care about and helping them in any way they could. In fact, thinking about it just now, I would be perfectly fine with my brother's girlfriend living with us for a week or so. Still, there's that tiny part of me that feels like I'm a burden. But, in order to get through this will everyone's spirit intact, I've got to push past those feelings and be myself. Well, a cleaner version of myself. ;)

No comments: