Monday, August 16, 2010

Weekend in Review

I can't believe it's Monday again already!

This weekend was a mixture of highs and lows with a little productivity thrown in. After Craig's GMAT test on Friday afternoon and subsequent family bantering, we decided to stop wallowing and go out for some dinner and drinks. We had steak sandwiches, drank beers and bellinis, laughed, and sang along poorly with hits of the 80s. One day, I bet we'll miss the days where we would just go out for dinner in a bar/lounge and "karaoke" the place without a care in the world. Since we were both a little tipsy and happy, we tried to call up some friends to join us in butchering the art of karaoke (for real). We were ready for a night out on the town! So when our few friends let us know that they were out of town or had other plans, we went back to his apartment and fell asleep at a very elderly 11:00pm.

We awoke the next morning knowing that Craig would be leaving the city and spending the night in Long Island before his very early Sunday morning flight. We helped clean his apartment (It's so refreshing to see someone as adamant about coming back to a clean home as I am!) We went for a quick brunch a few blocks up at Wicker Park. It was at brunch that something quite funny unfolded.

A handsome couple, in their late 20s walked down the sidewalk, just past our outdoor dining table. The woman, tall, slender, in a beautiful, red, backless dress. The man, dressed casually in khaki shorts and a polo. I noticed them walking towards us and turned away before they passed and just as I turned, I watched Craig's eyes follow them, right over my head and down the block.
Me: "What 'cha lookin' at there? Hmm?"

Him: "What?"

Me: "Just now..."

Him: "Oh, he had a Shake Shack bag... I was wondering what was in it.
Now, I want a cheeseburger."

Ha! Nice to know he wasn't looking at the leggy brunette like I was! Sometimes, all a man wants in life is a good cheeseburger!

We returned to the apartment, said our 'goodbye's and 'have fun's, I hugged his neck and headed back up to my apartment.

Have you ever spent an entire morning cleaning just to go home and realize your place is a mess? That is exactly what happened to me. All week, my apartment had been treated with some serious neglect so I took on the battle of getting that cleaned up too. I spent the evening lounging, reading, and watching TV.

On Sunday, I desperately needed to do laundry (it was in a serious state of overflow) including washing my down comforter. I hate washing that thing. It's so awkward to carry (along with everything else) down to the laundromat and it takes up an entire washer and dryer - no multi-tasking with that one! But, it had been so long since it had passed a lint screen, I was getting tiny tiny feathers (the ones that get too small and regular washing should remove. oops!) on everything. In fact, when cleaning my extremely dusty side table, closer inspection showed that there was no dust, but thousands of tiny feathers spread out all over the wood. Not to mention that I kept waking up looking like I had gotten in a fight with a baby goose. And, if Craig had any sort of "shadow" (5'0clock or otherwise), he'd wake up with little white specks on his face!

So, laundry day it was. After making sure his plane didn't crash into the ocean, I ventured out to the streets of NY with one full suitcase and one full laundry hamper in tow. I wore lounge pants and an I (heart) NY tshirt that would have seriously embarrassed Craig. My New Yorker man would rather die than be mistaken for a tourist!

It was kind of refreshing, actually, to not have to care about impressing a single soul - to just go out and do what I needed to do. With a post 24-hour wash pony tail and no makeup.
After many hours, I finally got everything laundered, folded, and put back away in my apartment (seriously missing the boyfriend when I had to drag a 60 pound suitcase up 2 flights of stairs with one hand!) and spent the rest of the evening just relaxing by myself.

So, hello again, Monday! You always come so soon!

Tonight, I'm planning on picking up some paint samples for my office because the yellow, orange, green 1970s playhouse motif is seriously terrible. I'll post some pictures of it when I get a chance.

Have a good week everyone!

No comments: