Saturday, January 31, 2009

Dare alla Luce

Tonight, I am staying in.  Not that this is an unusual thing, but it makes me feel better if I say that it's a personal choice ; )  So I'm staying in and watching "Under The Tuscan Sun", which is just a happy movie.  It makes me want to move to Italy and say beautiful things like "Buona notte" and "Arriverderci" - but alas, I'll have to stay in New York and say things like "I'm walkin' hea" and "where's the effin' train?"

I noticed something tonight as I was putting on some lotion.  About two years ago, I developed a habit with rubbing lotion on my hands.  I would remove my rings and rub the lotion in, and I would always put a little extra lotion on my left ring finger because my engagement ring had rubbed a callous just below my knuckle.  Even after I stopped wearing my ring, the patch of dry skin remained and I rubbed extra lotion on it every time I put lotion on my hands.  Today, as I took extra time to rub my ring finger (by habit, of course), I noticed that the callous was gone.  It probably disappeared a while ago, but tonight - I noticed it for the first time.  The "scar" from my previous relationship has disappeared with time, and, like that patch of skin on my finger, the scar on my heart will also fade with time.  I just need some patience and maybe some extra "rubbing in" sometimes.  Time will heal.  I need to have faith.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Signora, between Austria and Italy, there is a section of the Alps called the Semmering.  It is an impossibly steep, very high part of the mountains.  They built a train track over these Alps to connect Vienna and Venice.  They built these tracks even before there was a train in existence that could make the trip.  They built it becasue they knew some day, the train would come."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------


No comments: